- This event has passed.
Anti-Racism and Solidarity March – POSTPONED
September 26, 2020 @ 9:15 am - 10:15 am
The Social Justice Action Coalition (SJAC) has decided to postpone the Anti-racism Solidarity March that had been scheduled for Sat, Sept 26. This is not an easy decision to make; however, new campus policies related to COVID-19 prohibit gathering of any kind. In keeping with the original intention of this march, which is to honor the statement written by the four Black full professors at the School of Social Work, we will reconvene to create a fresh plan to demonstrate antiracist solidarity. We understand that next steps require internal and communal work. All current members of UNC School of Social Work are welcome to participate in the SJAC, which holds weekly collaborations among students, staff and faculty, committed to racial equity and social justice. The next meeting is Wed, Sept 23 from 12-1pm, with future meetings to be planned in the evenings. To receive info about SJAC or if you’re not able to make the meeting but want to receive meeting notes and other SJAC communication, join the mailing list here.
The UNC School of Social Work Social Justice Action Collaborative (SJAC) invites current students, staff, and faculty to collectively express our commitment to learn about racism from people with experiential knowledge and to practice anti-racism in our community. We will process around (and around) the perimeter of the building in a symbolic statement that acknowledges that dismantling racism starts in our institutional home, whether or not we are physically present in the building this semester. We are committed to creating a First Amendment march that is as safe as possible for all. For this reason, those who decide to participate in-person must abide by face mask and physical distancing requirements at all times; and there will also be opportunities to participate virtually leading up to and during the march.
Opportunities to participate – Simultaneous In-Person and Virtual
- Masks and social distancing are required.
- You must not participate in person if you have any signs or symptoms of COVID-19 or have come into contact with anyone who has COVID-19.
- RSVP required so we know how many to expect, can plan accordingly to maximize safety, and to can keep you informed of any changes to the plan based on COVID-19 or related policies.
- Please RSVP by midnight on Thursday, Sept 24 (the evening that Rev. Barber will be addressing our community).
- Participants will have the opportunity to observe the march and share out their reflections as a community in real time.
- Please RSVP to receive the live-stream link.
How to prepare for the in-person march and live-stream event:
Respond to the prompt, “I am here because…”
Express yourself through signs, spoken word, song, dress, or writing out commitment to anti-racism action. The sky is the limit.
Share your reflection on your role at SSW as well as transcending your professional or student title.
- Virtual – Share out your written and recorded materials on Twitter or Facebook using #IAmHere, or upload them here and we’ll do it
- Live-stream – Join in solidarity with the march from wherever you are.
- In-person – Look for the Speaker Stand to stream your live responses
- A designated area will be set up with a camera on a tripod. Unless you live together, only one Speaker is allowed at the stand at a time, and must maintain at least 6 feet distance throughout. Please limit comments to 2 minutes or less.
#IAmHere – Share your reflections today and anytime leading up to the march using #IAmHere
Anti-Racism and Solidarity T-Shirt Logo
Calling all artists! Design an anti-racist logo that will be featured on the T-shirts distributed at the march. These will also be available for sale after the march, with all proceeds to support Black empowerment.
Submit here: https://go.unc.edu/logo
All logo designs will also be shared along with the other #IAmHere materials.
Public speakers at the march
- Nominate yourself or someone else
- Public comments encouraged to be brief (~ 3 minutes)
- RSVP form includes place for nominations
Questions? Please contact Debbie <firstname.lastname@example.org> or Stefani <email@example.com> on behalf of the Social Justice Action Collaborative (SJAC)