Professional ethics all point to the importance of providing services to people in need. Today’s “social distancing” measures to combat the coronavirus pandemic can interfere with continuity of care for vulnerable individuals. This workshop responds to the urgent need for alternatives to in-person therapy. Participants will learn how to implement distance counseling/telehealth (also known as telemental health, etherapy, distance counseling, “Skype therapy,” and telemedicine) in an ethical manner. Rob Reinhardt will describe expanding practice of telehealth, evidence of its effectiveness, current standards of care, when it is and is not appropriate, as well as legal, ethical, insurance, and technological challenges that need to be addressed when providing these services. He will also emphasize the role of training and expertise for competent service provision.
Rob Reinhardt, LCMHCS, M.Ed, NCC is CEO of Tame Your Practice and has his own counseling practice. He previously worked for a decade in information technology and has been engaged with technology his entire life. With a comprehensive mix of technology, clinical, and business experience, Rob provides consultation and coaching regarding all facets of private practice and is known for his expertise in reviewing and recommending electronic health records (EHRs) for therapists, He is also the creator of Describe, the popular deck of cards and activities that can be used with individuals, families and groups of all ages. He’s also co-host of the podcast, TherapyTech with Rob and Roy, column editor for Counseling Today, the professional magazine published by the American Counseling Association, and co-author of the book Private Practice Preparedness: The Heath Care Professional’s Guide to Closing a Practice Due to Retirement, Death, or Disability.
Consulting Web Site: www.tameyourpractice.com
Describe Web Site: www.describecards.com
Private Practice Preparedness Web Site: www.privatepracticepreparedness.com
Podcast Web Site: www.therapytechrobroy.com
Professional Web Site: www.robreinhardtlpc.com
Private Practice Web Site: www.serenityspringswellness.com
- Campbell, L. F., & Norcross, J. C. (2018). Do you see what we see? Psychology’s response to technology in mental health, Clinical Psychology: Science and Practice, 25(2) doi:10.1111/cpsp.12237
- Cooper, S., Campbell, L., & Barnwell, S. (2019). Telepsychology: A primer for counseling psychologists. Counseling Psychologist, 47(8), 1074-1114. doi:10.1177/0011000019895276
- Fletcher, T. L., Hogan, J. B., Keegan, F., Davis, M. L., Wassef, M., Day, S., & Lindsay, J. A. (2018). Recent advances in delivering mental health treatment via video to home. Current Psychiatry Reports, 20(8), 1-9. doi:10.1007/s11920-018-0922-y
- Wrape, E. R., & McGinn, M. M. (2019;2018;). Clinical and ethical considerations for delivering couple and family therapy via telehealth. Journal of Marital and Family Therapy, 45(2), 296-308. doi:10.1111/jmft.12319
- Karcher, N. R., & Presser, N. R. (2018). Ethical and legal issues addressing the use of mobile health (mHealth) as an adjunct to psychotherapy. Ethics & Behavior, 28(1), 1-22. doi:10.1080/10508422.2016.1229187
Handouts: Slides and printable version | Resource list (w/ helpful links)