Social Justice Action Series
- Nominate yourself or other local heroes for social justice to be spotlighted in the exhibition wall in the Jordan Institute. Click here for more information and to submit photos and descriptions.
- Activism in Academia with TED SHAW, Director, UNC Center for Civil Rights (flyer) – Monday, October 16, 2017, 5:30pm – 7:00pm, followed by “dinner and discuss” groups, catered by Vimala’s CurryBlossom Cafe).
- Community viewing of Ted Shaw’s address, followed by discussion and Q & A with Dean Gary Bowen and Distinguished Professor Iris Carlton-LaNey – Friday, Nov 3rd from 12 noon – 2 pm (with lunch); and on Thursday, Nov 9th from 5:30pm – 7:30pm in Room 300 (with dinner)
- How do you Activate? Open house in the Jordan Institute to talk about social justice and share what you and colleagues are doing to foment, support, and drive social change. Drop in between 8:30 am to 2:00 pm on Monday, Dec 4; Tuesday, Dec 5; and/or Friday Dec 8. Snacks served.
- Nuts & Bolts: Strategies & Tools for Organizing in North Carolina – Come to learn different tactics to advocate for social change from a panel of NC organizers and activists — including Deandrea Newsome (2020 StartsNOW), Damon Seils (Carrboro Board of Alderman), Alexa Broderick (the Equity Paradigm), and Nathan Hollister (Mutual Aid Carrboro). Friday, January 26, 2018, 12:00-2:00, Tate-Turner-Kuralt, Auditorium. Contribute questions to panelists at email@example.com. Flyer | Video of panel
- Environmental Justice with Meredith Powers – Embracing Simple Practices to Promote Community and Environmental Sustainability. Dr. Powers will speak to issues such as ecological justice, environmental racism, climate change, and radical community organizing to facilitate the transition to a clean, healthy, and just society. Monday, February 26, 2018, 12:00 – 2:00. Flyer | Video recording
- Creating a University That Works for ALL: Navigating Turbulence in an Academic Setting with Dr. Shariff Abdullah. The unrest and division that plays out in nationally is also at work within the academic setting. This short session will offer some suggestions and experiences for healing division, from a variety of global experiences. With enough participants, we will engage in a dialogic process that has brought actual and potential adversaries into community with each other. Friday, March 9, 2018, 12:00 – 1:30 pm. Please RSVP here
- Social Movement and Arts – Postponed, September 2018, date TBA – Come join the university and larger community for an evening of social justice inspired artistic expression. The event will be held at Vimala’s CurryBlossom Cafe, located at 431 W. Franklin Street in Chapel Hill. The event is free, open to the public, and will include refreshments. FLYER
– Please RSVP here so we can plan accordingly.
– Please sign up here if you would like to share or perform your art
- Practicing Social Justice Within the System with Durham City Council Member DeDreana Freeman. This program will focus on opportunities and challenges of promoting social justice within the system. This event is co-hosted by the Weiss Urban Livability Program and will be held at Gillings School of Public Health, room 1301, located at 135 Dauer Drive on the campus of UNC Chapel Hill. Lunch will be provided from 12-12:30. The event will begin at 12:30 and conclude at 1:45 pm. FLYER
Tuesday, April 3, 2018, 12:00 – 2:00 pm.
Please RSVP here so we can plan accordingly.